If you have a medical condition involving your nerves, muscles, and/or bones, and you are up in years, you may wonder if it chiropractic treatment is safe for you. You will be pleasantly surprised to find out it is safe and can be very beneficial for you.
Many seniors find that chiropractic treatment can:
- Increase your balance and flexibility,
- Halt or prevent degeneration of your joints,
- Give you a better range of motion, and/or
- Reduce the chance of fractures from falling.
Chiropractic treatment can help persons who suffer from:
- Poor posture
- Neck and back pain
- Kyphosis or dowager's hump (exaggerated rounding of the back)
- Sciatica, and more.
Safety and Techniques Used
Chiropractors have a variety of therapeutic tools, which include but aren't limited to spinal manipulation. When working with an elderly person or someone who has osteoporosis, you can be assured that they will be careful and use only enough gentle force to correct subluxations (misalignments of the vertebrae).
Other chiropractic treatments include:
- Ultrasound therapy, which massages soft tissues and joints with sound waves.
- Trigger-point therapy, which applies gentle pressure to specific areas and is often used to reduce pain.
- Low-level laser therapy, which involves using a non-heat laser to reduce inflammation by penetrating deep into tissues.
- Vibration therapy using a rectangular vibrating device on the spine and back. This increases circulation to the vertebra, the joints, and the supportive muscle tissue, which increases nutrition to the cells and helps the body eliminate cellular waste products.
Your practitioner may also recommend therapeutic exercises and stretches for you to do at home, which will increase your endurance and strength. Doing these will increase your benefits even more.
Improved Quality of Life
Chiropractic methods can help normalize and stabilize the joints, and this can reduce the wearing down of bone tissue that age and conditions such as arthritis cause.
Subluxations cause interrupted nerve transmissions to body and tissues. Treatment helps you resist slumping over, stand up straighter, and walk with better posture, which in turn helps your organs to work better. If you were feeling better, you would naturally be more active, which would in turn help you to sleep better.
Many practitioners will tell you that chiropractic treatment is not a cure-all. For some conditions, medical care is indicated, but chiropractic care will work along with it to help you cope better and live with less discomfort.
If you have questions about how chiropractic can help you, contact a clinic like First Chiropractic.